Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin Cake Pops

Cake pops..
They're EVERYWHERE...
and they are soooo cute.
But I (the dessert loving queen) have NOT tried to eat or make them :( :(
so therefore
I attempt the impossible...Impossibly delicious that is...


PUMPKIN CAKE POPS
So I got this wild cake pop idea, but couldn't find any cute but actually doable (as in on my skill level) cake pops so I kinda winged it so.. here ya go!

Step 1:
      Prepare a basic cake recipe, any flavor. I baked mine in a 9 by 13 dish, but it DOESN'T matter how you make it because ultimately you're destroying it (which is kinda fun).

No.. I did not take a huge bite out of this cake... YES.. I wanted too.....

Step 2:
      Let it cool and DESTROY IT!! YAY!! Ok.. so carefully destroy it and I didn't let mine cool completely.
To carefully destroy it take two big chunks and rub it together, you are trying to get "fine crumbs", whatever that means...


Fine crumbs?? I tore the pieces apart with two forks.....

Step 3:

Add frosting, but gently working it in with forks. Almost EVERY recipe calls for canned frosting!! WOOOHOO! Easy street! Most people say use ONLY 3/4 a can of frosting, however I used almost a whole can in mine, maybe the cake was a little dry?

Basically you want it to be able to hold form in a ball (not swished into a ball-tried that) not fall apart and not too mushy. I thought at this point I was a total failure..
Cake balls were one up on me....
Sigggggggggggggggggggggh.....
But I made the balls anyways and stuck them in the freezer to wait. You should let them sit in the freezer for a LEAST an hour (you dont want them rock hard) you want them firm!!!!

Step 4:

Melt your candy melts... This CAN be tricky, I've found heating them on defrost (50% power), and stirring every 30 seconds at LEAST is best. DO not walk away from candy melts.. big big BIG mistake... Stir in a little vegetable oil to help the melts if they are thick (I add this almost EVERY time!).. So my little dance goes like this: stir, start microwave, stir, start microwave, stir....

Step 5:

PREPARE THE POPS!

Here it comes.. the moment of greatness... Will the pops fail? Or will you go on to pop victory?? This is a GREAT tip I picked up:
---------Dip the pop-stick into the candy melts a little bit THEN stick it into the VERY firm cake balls, this helps the pop stay together!!MUST DO!! See the undipped pops above?? This is kinda what they look like after.
Step 6:
Do the dip and roll...
This is my method, lay the pop on one side and roll so that the melts cover the pop, you may have to roll a couple times to make sure the pop is completely covered.. Then wait....

Basically you're done!! Do a little cake pop dance!!! You can decorate now like I did to make "pumpkin pops" and of course.. EAT!!!!!!! Btw.. the were DELICIOUS.. and now I'm dangerous because I know how to make them and how very delicious they are.. sigh...





     



No comments:

Post a Comment